[Asterisk-Users] music on hold without mpg123

lenz lenz-ml at oinko.net
Tue Mar 14 00:12:02 MST 2006

Hi Matt,
thank you for your inputs. I updated the page at
http://www.oinko.net/astrecipes/index.php?n=152 so that it merges in the
new pointers you sent me.

I also think that converting to the native codec format will be the best
choice - you can usually trade in some disk space for performance. In any
case, even having everything as WAV will require only a relatively cheap
encoding, and not the full mp3 -> slin -> {your codec} encoding plus the
external process that mpg123 used to require.

I wonder: is there any way to use Asterisk as a transcoding tool, i.e.
using its internal transcoding capabilities to transcode a given file to
all its supported codecs? (I'm thinking of g729 and ilbc, things that are
not supported by Sox but that might be useful in a real-life scenario....)

Thank you
l.

In data Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:29:57 +0100, Matt Roth <mroth at imminc.com> ha
scritto:

> Lenz,
>
> This method is referred to as file-based or native MOH, and I have some
> additional information regarding it.  First, a short post on why we
> moved from the rawplayer method to native MOH on our production box,
> with a quote from Kevin Fleming regarding the impact the change would
> have on scalability.
>
>  -
> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2006-February/141180.html
>
> Second, I *believe* (please correct me if I'm wrong) that in order to
> get the full benefits of native MOH, the music files should be converted
> to the codec that the calls will be in.  This allows Asterisk to play
> MOH without performing any transcoding, which lowers the resource
> utilization on the box.  Here is a guide for converting WAV files to the
> desired codec, which addresses the four characteristics that describe
> audio data.
>
> - http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2006-March/142108.html
>
> Please feel free to add any of this information to your site and don't
> hesitate to contact me if you spot any mistakes.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Matthew Roth
> InterMedia Marketing Solutions
> Software Engineer and Systems Developer