[Asterisk-Users] RE: Multiple IAX clients behind a firewall

Adrian Carter adrian at lei.net.au
Mon Mar 13 04:50:33 MST 2006

Thanks all for advice... I have IAX clients configured pretty standard,
and they work fine connecting to the asterisk server if coming via the
itnernet.. but the moment I have more than one attempted client from a
remote office that gets NAT'ed into the 'main' network so to speak it
doesnt work. I only see one client connect and "iax2 show peers"
reflects only one client from that IP and its connected on 4569.
Subsequent clients attempting to connect behind the NAT router get
'connection timedout' when trying to register. If I unregister the first
client, a new one can register, but the same symptoms persist (the guy I
unregistered can't re-register again ...)

Its a Dlink DI714P+ router in a completly vanilla out-of-the-box setup -
so if IAX 'just works' - what am I missing?? :)

Hagen Rode wrote:
> In two cases we've had more than one IAX client work from behind the NAT.
>
> Recently however, behind a different NAT, there was a case where only one
> client could connect. So maybe it depends on the router? I'm really hoping
> that it will be able to connect in more cases than not and am looking
> forward to seeing what others respond to this question.
>
> Hagen
>
>> Hi all,
>>    I've searched the wiki, and my basic assumption at this point is to
>> run multiple IAX clients behind NAT I need to specifically code each
>> client to use a different port and then setup that port to be forwarded
>>
> >from the NAT router to their private IP address.
>
>>    At the moment, I can't seem to get more than one IAX client
>> registered behind NAT... am I correct in my above assumption or have I
>> missed something

Adrian Carter
Technical Manager
Leading Edge Internet

Web	  http://www.lei.net.au http://support.lei.net.au
Direct    +61 2 6163 6162  Support 1 300 662 415

E-mail    cartera at lei.net.au