[Asterisk-Users] Analog Desktop Phone

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 19:52:47 MST 2006

On 3/10/06, Michael Welter <mike at telecommatters.net> wrote:
> My customer with Cortelco phones is *very* unhappy.  They expected
> Polycom speaker phone quality on a crap $50 phone.  The only reason I
> didn't have to take the phones back is because the IT guy that ordered
> this system quit the company.
>
> My first Asterisk system dates back to early 2003.  That customer has an
> Adtran 750 w/ Office Depot analog phones.  That system is still in
> place, unchanged.  Today, I could install that same system at a lesser
> price using decent SIP phones.  With the GXS2000 at $82,  what
> justification is there to install analog phones on a channel bank?

Interesting, you answer your own question. The GXS2000 is one of the
justifications for analog phones and channel banks.

> If you have unlimited time to deal with an aggravated customers, then go
> for the Cortelco/analog solution.  If you want a happy customer, install
> SIP phones.
>
> Today, I installed a dozen Polycom IP501s into an existing customer for
> $2500.  I made a few bucks and the customer is proud of the high tech
> instrument (and great speaker phone) on his desk.  Why would you, as a
> vendor, want anything else?  Also, they *love* the buddy list with presence.

If talking about the Polycom 501 then I can agree with you, but the
Grandstream line of products is one of the reasons to use channel
banks and ananlog phones. It is not always justified to use SIP
solutions, sometimes Analog is the way to go for whatever reason. It's
way cheaper at around $45 per port including the phone, the digium
cards, and the channel banks.
However I don't see how Analog with an ATA can be justified as you are
already spending around $70 for the ATA, then $20-$30 on the phone,
why not get a Uniden IP200 for that money?
But what the OP wanted was a sulotion that together with the SAP3000
makes for something that works even when there is a blackout, since
the SPA3000 allows for failover to the FXS port from the FXO port
if/when there is no power to the unit. Which makes it a very good
solution when needed because of 911 reasons or the like.