[Asterisk-Users] Incompatible switchtypes

McQuiggan, Mark xt46480 Mark_McQuiggan at adp.com
Sat Mar 11 09:23:12 MST 2006

Is it possible that putting the incorrect switchtype in zapata.conf can
cause Asterisk to crash?

I have a Definity Generic 3 connected to a TE405 port 1, and a Nortel BCM
connected to port 4.  In zapata.conf, I configured the Definity connection
(group 1) to switchtype=national as per voip-info.org, and the BCM (group 2)
to ni1 as per the vendor.

I lost my primary D-channel on the Definity side at least once per day (No
D-channels available! error).  It would drop for one second, and thus drop
all current calls.  Programming an nfas backup d-channel resulted in
Asterisk spontaneously reloading 3-6 times a day, with an exit status of
139.  Debugging was showing problems in pri_timeout.  I have other e-mails
this month which describe this.

I note that Asterisk does not seem to properly tear down a call between the
Definity side and the BCM side if a) the Definity side initiated the call
and b) The BCM side hangs up first.

I have reduced my channels down to 12 each, and still got an error (luckily,
as there does not seem to be a way to force the error to happen).  I have
removed the nfas and the extra connection.

I have since discovered that the BCM is not configured as ni1, but DSM100,
and have changed zapata.conf to reflect this.  I am wondering if I should be
changing my Definity config to 5ess.  The call tear-down problem still
occurs.

Since the problem only occurs for one second, I am not sure if this is
resolving anything.  Can anyone help?  Here is my zapata.conf:

[channels]
rxgain=8.0
txgain=-4.5
echocancel=yes