[Asterisk-Users] Zap not installing

Curt Shaffer cshaffer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 12:32:37 MST 2006

I have decided to move on from Asterisk at Home and start compiling asterisk
myself now. I got a dedicated box and put my X100P in it. I installed the
server version of CentOS 4.2 (2.6.9-22.EL kernel) barebones. The box is a
dell GX270 workstation with 1GB of RAM. I got a fresh copy of O'Reilly's
Asterisk the future of technology and begun. I downloaded the
zaptel-1.2.4.tar.gz, libpri-1.0.9, and asterisk-1.2.5. I started compiling
the zaptel (make && make install && make clean) when I try to start zaptel
-> /etc/init.d/zaptel start I get the following error:

Unable to open /dev/zap/ctl: No such file or directory

Below are the only things I have declared in my /etc/zaptel.conf

ks=1

loadzone=us

defaultzone=us

fxoks=1 ( I have tried fxsks=1 as well, because the book had a section that
read the following):

"...a physical FXO port will be defined in configuration with FXS
signaling..an FXO card connects to a central office(CO), which means it will
need to behave like a station that use FXS signaling"

I tried this both in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules and
/etc/udev/rules.d/zaptel.rules (rebooting after each change)

Zaptel devices

KERNEL="zapctl",     NAME="zap/ctl"

KERNEL="zaptimer",   NAME="zap/timer"

KERNEL="zapchannel", NAME="zap/channel"

KERNEL="zappseudo",  NAME="zap/pseudo"

KERNEL="zap[0-9]*",  NAME="zap/%n"

When I run ztcfg I get the following error:

line 0: Unable to open master device '/dev/zap/ctl'

When I run zttool I get the following error:

Unable to open /dev/zap/ctl: No such file or directory

I have started from scratch multiple times and I get the same result.

I get no errors when compiling and the card can be removed and put back in
the old system and work properly. Also Linux does notice the device when I
install and boot into the OS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Curt