[Asterisk-Users] Problem compiling ztdummy on centos 4, 2.6 kernel

John Daragon john at argv.co.uk
Wed Mar 8 03:45:11 MST 2006

Sina, hi;

Let's just do a little recap.

You've downloaded zaptel-1.2.4 and done the

make linux26
make install
make config

thing on it.  If you don't uncomment anything, the builds complete
without error and modules are installed in

/lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra.

You've performed the 2.6 kernel udev configuration :

edit /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules

and insert the lines :

KERNEL="zapctl",        NAME="zap/ctl"
KERNEL="zapchannel",    NAME="zap/channel"
KERNEL="zaptimer",      NAME="zap/timer"
KERNEL="zappseudo",     NAME="zap/pseudo"
KERNEL="zap[0-9]*",     NAME="zap/%n"

Assuming you're using a user called asterisk...

edit

/etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions

and insert :

zap/* asterisk:asterisk:660

If running

/etc/init.d/zaptel start

still fails, then  run

/etc/init.d/zaptel stop

and then

sh -x /etc/init.d/zaptel start

You should be able to work out what's failing from the output here. If
you can't, post the output to the list or email it to me.

If, for example, modprobe is failing on ztdummy.ko, then run

strace modprobe ztdummy

and look at the output. This will identify problems like the modules
being in a directory that modprobe isn't looking at, &c &c.

Again, if the cause isn't clear either post the last (say) 20 lines of
the strace err... trace her or email them to me.

Let's put this one to bed, huh ?

jd