[Asterisk-Users] Snom 360 Hinting tricks

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Sun Mar 5 19:19:07 MST 2006

I was always puzzled by posts to the list about people having problems
getting hints to work on a Snom, since I always seem to have no problem
making it work. That is, until today when I tried to get a sidecar to work.
All I could do was get a monitored extension light to light up continuously,
regardless of state. Frustrating! Going back to my working dialplans where I
got 1 or 2 lights working fine, I saw the pattern and the difference between
working and non-working, and I realized that other people were experiencing
the same problem as I was. The trick is the *order* in which you put your
hint priorities in your dialplan. My non-working sidecar dialplan had all
the hint priorities grouped together:

exten => 12345,hint,SIP/12345
exten => 12346,hint,SIP/12346

Which would register the hint, but it wouldn't work on the Snom. The way to
make it work, for sure, is to make sure your hint priority is the last
priority underneath the *related* priority for the extension. So, this will
work:

exten => 12345,1,Dial(SIP/12345)
exten => 12345,2,Voicemail(u12345)
exten => 12345,hint,SIP/12345

exten => 12346,1,Dial(SIP/12346)
exten => 12346,2,Voicemail(u12346)
exten => 12346,hint,SIP/12346

But this won't:

exten => 12345,hint,SIP/12345
exten => 12346,hint,SIP/12346

exten => 12345,1,Dial(SIP/12345)
exten => 12345,2,Voicemail(u12345)

exten => 12346,1,Dial(SIP/12346)
exten => 12346,2,Voicemail(u12346)

Also, you will get hooped if you lower-case your "SIP" statements. So
SIP/12345 will work but sip/12345 won't.

As long as you follow these two tricks above, hint-ing is very
straightforward and painless. If you don't, it's really frustrating to get
going (as I found out today after a couple of hours of swearing)