[Asterisk-Users] Polycom 501 power over ethernet

William M Conlon bill at tothept.com
Sun Mar 5 18:29:02 MST 2006

My recollection of the marketing fluff was that we would just use our
legacy network (cables) and the devices at both ends would figure out
whether they were sourcing, sinking, or neither.  In the case of the
501, it's the special Polycom cable, either with or without provision
for an AC power adapter, that powers the phone.  That's what I meant
by saying the '501' itself is not compliant with 802.3af -- it needs
a separate thingamajig [tech jargon :)]to be powered.

Anyway I had hoped that I could just plug a CAT-5 patch cable from my
RJ45 wall outlet into the phone.

e-mail:  mailto:bill at tothept.com
    web:  http://www.tothept.com