[Asterisk-Users] Polycom 501 power over ethernet

Michael Welter mike at telecommatters.net
Sun Mar 5 18:17:43 MST 2006

As I understand 802.3af, the phones go through a negotiation with the
unit supplying the power.  I don't think it's a matter of -48VDC on a
particular pair.  I remember a schematic from years ago--it had each of
the receive pair and the transmit pair going into a transformer winding,
  and that winding had a center tap for PoE.  This is not something that
*I* am going to screw with.

The IP501 telephone set is the same for both PoE and local power.  With
the PoE cable, the 802.3af electronics (the negotiator) is a plastic
thing in the cable.  For the local power, there is a plastic thingie
toward the wall end of the cable, and you plug the wall wart into the
plastic thingie.  <Notice the advanced technical jargon here>

With local power, there is still only one cable one the desk--the power
plugs into the cable towards the wall.  Except for a power interruption,
this has all the advantages of PoE.