[Asterisk-Users] Program Buttons on Cisco 79xx Phones

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sun Mar 5 06:39:14 MST 2006

> >> We're still waiting for a SIP-enabled 7970...
> >> The newer model phones (7941g/ge, 7961g) are sccp-only. Seems a step
> >> backwards to me.
> > why?
>
> If cisco really is moving towards SIP as claimed earlier, then releasing
> new phones which are sccp-only is a step backwards from that goal.
>
> If cisco really is moving towards SIP as claimed earlier, then cisco
> should release SIP images for 7970, as they did with 7960 and 7940.
>
> > I had my phones running on SIP, got chan-sccp and started
> > experimenting with it.
> > All my phones are running SCCP now. The phones respond
> > faster, you have more options etc.
> > Of course it would be nice if they offer SIP so people have
> > a choice, but I really think the chan_sccp is the way to
> > have these phones work.
>
> This only means sccp is currently better for cisco phones, it doesn't mean
> sccp is a better protocol.
>
> sccp and asterisk has some err.. real annoying bugs at the moment, where
> ciscos running SIP don't have these problems.
>
> Given a choice I'd run SIP, if only to have the phones able to talk to
> each other and gateways if the PBX dies for any reason. sccp can't do
> that -- if you lose the PBX you totally lose all functionality on all
> your sccp phones.

Cisco has a very long track history of supporting "standards". However,
I'm sure they balance that against their interpretation of how that
support might impact sales of other products, and against the development
time necessary to get there. Part of that decision might even relate to
the maturity of their sip code in CM.

I'd have to bet they will have better sip implementations for all phones
in the near future, particularily when competitive products become more
advanced/stable.

Since the v7.5 sip code had a significant number of problems (compared
to all other firmware versions released in the last two years), it would
appear that might be a "leading indicator" of some significant development
efforts that we've just beginning to see.