[Asterisk-Users] Brainstorming dual-core and Asterisk

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Fri Mar 3 12:10:09 MST 2006

Jim Van Meggelen wrote:

>Let me run something that's been floating about in my noggin by
>everyone:
>
>Given that Asterisk does not make use of dual core CPUs or dual
>processors...

Jim,

That statement bothered me, because we are running Asterisk on a
multi-processor system to help accomplish our scalability goals.  I did
some double-checking on it by talking to Matt O'Gorman of Digium.  Here
is what he had to say:

"Asterisk makes use of both processors for 99% of things.  There are
some things like IAX parser or SIP parser that only run on one thread
(although Mark [Spencer] recently did multi-threaded IAX), but the heavy
stuff like each call spawns a new thread and Linux being awesome like it
is will share the load across processors.  I mean just run top, you will
see load should be fairly balanced."

On our production server we are currently handling ~90 concurrent calls
with digital recording via Monitor as well as ~200 dynamic agents logged
in.  top shows us running around 80% idle with processor 0 hovering
around 70% idle, and processors 1, 2, and 3 around 85%.

Your VMWare idea is very interesting, but I think it's unnecessary.  I
believe that Asterisk *does* perform better with HyperThreading/logical
processors disabled.

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer