[Asterisk-Users] Polling Asterisk for Life

Andreas Sikkema andreas.sikkema at bbned.nl
Fri Mar 3 02:41:25 MST 2006

> So, simply respawning asterisk, or checking to see if it's running
> isn't good enough, because asterisk is indeed running.  We need to
> access asterisk and issue a command, and see if asterisk responds
> appropriately.  If not, we can assume it has died, and we can kill it
> off (killall -9 asterisk) and then start it back up again (or reboot
> the whole server if necessary).

The _only_ way to reliably (well, in as much as that is possible) to
test if your Asterisk is working, is to build a monitoring system that
does more or less the same as a typical user would do.

We have a system with two modems connected to ATA's and they dial each
other via multiple routes so we test all of the major scenarios.

We only test if calls are routed through, not if the call itself
establishes (media running) to prevent major costs from such a
system. I works reasonably well, it seems to detect 99% of the major
problems.

--
Andreas Sikkema                       BBned NV
Software Engineer                Planeetbaan 4