[Asterisk-Users] Fun with Echo

Tim C. Lewis tclewis at oreilly.com
Fri Jun 30 16:47:04 MST 2006

yeah this post is old and there have been dozens of replies, but here's
some feedback for the list, now that i have some.

we're using a sangoma a102 card (no hw ec) with 2 pris from sbc.
asterisk 1.2.7.1, zaptel 1.2.6 (much testing previously with 1.2.5).  we
first used:

KB1 (not aggressive), echocancel yes (128), echotraining yes (400),
rxgain/txgain 0.

most calls with this setup were fine, but maybe 5% of pri calls were
reported as having anywhere from slight to completely unbearable echo.

playing with echocancel yielded worse results.  256 got results similar to
Brian's report below.  64 yielded echo on calls from numbers that never
had echo before.

we're now pretty settled on similar settings to Brian's: KB1 (WITH
aggressive), cancel yes (128), training yes (400), gains 0.

AGGRESSIVE_SUPRESSOR made a huge difference for us.  reports of bad echo
on calls dropped from one or two reports per day to 0 since we started
using this setup about 2.5 weeks ago.  i still receive the occassional
report of slight echo on a call or two (or slight echo at the beginning of
a call that goes away), from people who i actively ask about it, but for
the most part everyone is very content.

i also played around with MG2 (non-aggressive), per suggestions on this
thread, but aggressive KB1 showed better results in a few tests.  i have
not as of yet tried aggressive MG2.

looking over our cacti logs, load average on the system didn't noticeably
change between any of our echo handling changes.

anyway, i know there's no silver bullet for software ec, and anyone
reading this looking for ideas should be sure to keep that in mind, but
this thread gave us a number of ideas to try, so i wanted to report some
of the results.

good luck, all!

-tcl.