[Asterisk-Users] Surge Protector for T1/PRI ?

Dustin Wildes asterisk-users at vecsector.com
Fri Jun 30 05:32:03 MST 2006

Just recently a client of mine took a lightning hit, which in turn blew
out their Digium TE411P board.  This just so happened to be their main
office where their call center was located.  We had a backup card on
hand, but this still meant downtime for the client until we got out
there to replace the card.

I was thinking - what if we put a surge protector device between the PRI
card and the circuit itself?  That way, the client themselves could
replace surge protector units (if it got hit again) and protect our
expensive telco equipment from getting damaged.

Has anyone else experience surges on a T1/PRI circuit?  What did you do
to prevent further issues?
Anyone from Digium - do you see a surge protector device causing
interferrence or a problem with the equipment?

Example device I'm looking at:
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=PDIGITEL

Thanks!!