[Asterisk-Users] DTMF and ivr systems

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Jun 29 12:31:04 MST 2006

Shane wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Ther's probably a simple answer to this but I've searched
> around and haven't located anything as yet.  Is there a way
> to have DTMF tones passed through Asterisk without it
> messing with them?  I am using a tdm21b card and when I
> call an ivr system from the telephone handset (routed over
> sip or iax2) such as telebanking, the ivr has trouble
> recognizing tones.  When I tested this with a remote party,
> I was told tones were breaking up.  For example, a long
> press would result in a click, some silence and a small
> dtmf on the remote end.  Triggering a speed dial didn't go
> well either as he heard only a few tones.  I have
> dtmfmode=inband in sip.conf and have tried relaxdtmf=yes in
> zapata.conf.
>
> I realize Asterisk does need to detect dtmf for things like
> call parking but can it just pass the audio to the other
> side with no regard for whether it's dtmf digits?  IE. long
> press results in long tone, etc.

I've been using asterisk for about three years now, the last two with a
tdm04b (4 fxo's), and haven't run into any problems like those noted
above. I'm using primarily Cisco 7960's defined with dtmfmode=rfc2833.

Asterisk accepts the sip pkt from the phone, and generate dtmf tones out
the tdm04b. As mentioned, never had a problem with it in several
different business ivr envrionments, airlines, credit card companies,
etc. (There might be some out there where it doesn't work, but haven't
found them yet.)

R.