[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Native Sound Distortion (ulaw)

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Thu Jun 29 09:07:58 MST 2006

shadowym wrote:
> I too have noticed problems with Asterisk native sounds using ulaw on
> Asterisk 1.2.9.1.  Don't know about other versions but it seems to work
> quite well in Astlinux 0.40.  In theory, since I am using ulaw for SIP there
> is no transcoding so it is a more efficient use of CPU resources and it
> should sound much better in general.  It does sound better except for the
> frequent cracles, pops, and momentary dropouts which makes it much more
> objectionable to listen to compared to the standard GSM files.
>
> Is there a bug report on this yet?

shadowym,

	While I haven't noticed this myself, many people have pointed this out.
  I can assure you that the prompts in AstLinux 0.4 are the same native
prompts provided on astlinux.org.  I don't know why they seem to sound
so much better in AstLinux than with standard Asterisk installs, but as
I said many people have noticed this.  In theory, the native sounds
should sound much better no matter how you play them back.  Interesting...

--
Kristian Kielhofner