[Asterisk-Users] Standard Sound Files Distortion

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Thu Jun 29 02:04:07 MST 2006

On 28 Jun 2006, at 19:50, Douglas Garstang wrote:

> [...]

I've noticed something that may (or may not) be related.

If you have a sound file that isn't an exact multiple of 20ms long,
then asterisk 1.2.9.1 (don't know about other versions - yet) sends
out a 'partial' packet with the remaining data in it. For ulaw,
the data would normally be 160 bytes, but a few (the last?) packet(s)
might be 54 bytes (or whatever). This confuses my softphone.
Do we think this is correct behavior ? Shouldn't
asterisk pad the sound out to 20ms?

Note - this never occurs with GSM data, like the
'standard' voice files, as gsm is always a multiple of
20ms long.

T.

Tim Panton
tim at mexuar.com