[Asterisk-Users] point to point T hookup?

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 06:19:05 MST 2006

Hi Jonathan -

> I have an installation where I'll have a site to site data DS1 for use between
> two corporate offices. We'll have one asterisk server at each office. I'd
> like to be able to route calls over the 24 channels on that DS1 between the
> offices, instead of over the voiceT at each location to maximize savings on
> interoffice calls.
>
> An alternative is to put a router and switch at each end and extend a data
> network to the other site for SIP traffic. Would that result in better
> quality calls?

You'll get better quality calls by using the 24 channels of the T1
directly as voice channels.  They'll be high-quality ulaw calls, but
you'll be limited to 23 simultaneous calls over the link.  If that's
OK with the client, I'd go that route.  You can avoid QoS setup and
jitterbuffer configuration.

On the other hand, if they want more simultaneous calls than that over
this link, you could use it as a data T1, and use g729, and you could
fit a LOT more calls over this link.  They'll be lower quality just
because of the g729 codec, and you also have to deal with QoS and
jitterbuffer.

- Noah