[Asterisk-Users] AsteriskPT- Sucessfull routing Skype Calls to my * box. Incoming and Outgoing calls!!!

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Jun 28 02:16:27 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 08:14 +0000, undrhil.1528785 at bloglines.com wrote:
> Well, look at it this way: if you get the working, you can buy one of those
> tiny form-factor 386 boards with the 2 pcmcia slots and get a pcmcia soundcard
> and a ethernet port.  Run Linux off a CF card and have it setup to *only*
> interface with Skype and Asterisk.  Basically, make a Skype ATA, but it would
> convert Skype to SIP.  I think that could still be considered an ATA, right?
>  Or a gateway at least.

it wouldnt need a real soundcard, that is part of the point.  I remap
all the calls the same way that I did for allowing instant porting of
your digium g729 licenses (in another post, code is at my personal site
http://www.0xdecafbad.com/ somewhere).  Remapping those calls is
trivial, there are very few things that are acutally done to a soundcard
to set it up, ioctl() for setting the sample rate, etc and
read/write/open/close basically.  Really trivial code.

It would however be nicer if you didnt have to run a seperate copy of
the binary for each call.  This has a direct cost against memory.  It
would be better if it didnt use memory to open a GUI (even with the
virtual framebuffer for X it still takes all that memory even though it
doesnt display for real).

I also doubt that a 386 would cut it, with everything going on it would
have to be faster and that pushes the cost up.  If you are going to do
that it might be cheaper to buy one of the 1,2,4 port FSX/FXO devices
for integrating with a phone system or something (some plug into wall
jacks others into phones).  The 4 ports are about $750 which is steep.
The 99 port one which is unclear how you use it exactly is $1500 or
so.

Actualy looking at the 99 port model it appears that its just a usb
soundcard that has a FXS port on it, which is a silly way in my opinion,
and still requires a system running skype to work :(

> Since you can make a Skype account for free and
> can (for right now) make US and Canada LD calls for free, I think the cost
> and time to make them would be worth it.  :)  And if you figure out a good
> price for them, people might even buy them from you....

I dont, the overhead is insane.  As as for a price for 'them' it would
just be a software program.

Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378
http://www.trxtel.com the VoIP provider that pays you!