[Asterisk-Users] AsteriskPT- Sucessfull routing Skype Calls to my * box. Incoming and Outgoing calls!!!

undrhil.1528785 at bloglines.com undrhil.1528785 at bloglines.com
Wed Jun 28 01:14:56 MST 2006

Well, look at it this way: if you get the working, you can buy one of those
tiny form-factor 386 boards with the 2 pcmcia slots and get a pcmcia soundcard
and a ethernet port.  Run Linux off a CF card and have it setup to *only*
interface with Skype and Asterisk.  Basically, make a Skype ATA, but it would
convert Skype to SIP.  I think that could still be considered an ATA, right?
 Or a gateway at least.

Since you can make a Skype account for free and
can (for right now) make US and Canada LD calls for free, I think the cost
and time to make them would be worth it.  :)  And if you figure out a good
price for them, people might even buy them from you....

Undrhil

---
Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
wrote:
How many channels have you guys been able to get with this?

> The only problem I have with this is that it takes skype and a soundcard

> (virtual or otherwise) and the "API" is really executing commands on a

> running skype process.  In my opinion its not worth it for 1 concurrent

> call per account.
>
> I have written code that works with skype in linux
that simulates a
> virtual sound device.  I have used that and successfully
done calls out
> with this.  I havent played with the dbus stuff (how you
control the
> skype app from within linux) but since I have a "soundcard"
that I know
> the audio format of it wouldnt be difficult to integrate this
into
> asterisk, I could tweak chan_oss and make it into chan_skype fairly

> easily since that takes care of the other half of the equation.  The

only thing missing would be the events via dbus, which there are plenty

of examples on so its not like all new code would have to be written.

> But its just not worth it if you have to have skype running for each

call.  And then you would potentially have to have a new username for
> each
running process, and skype really wants X on linux so you would
> have to
at least have the X virtual frame buffer (it works and acts like
> X but
never displays anything or uses any hardware).  That seems like an
> aweful
lot of wasted resources on a box to connect to skype.

http://www.0xdecafbad.com     Bret McDanel
> Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461
   DE +49 801 777 555 3402
> Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360
207 0479
> US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378
> http://www.trxtel.com
the VoIP provider that pays you!