[Asterisk-Users] Polycom 601 problems with multiple registrations

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 16:06:47 MST 2006

Hi Brian -

> I'm just trying to get my Polycom 601 to have multiple extensions on it.  For example, on
> line 1 I want extension 21, on line 2 I want extension 22, and on line 3 I want extension
> 23.  Ideally I'd actually have each extension appear on 2 lines and therefore filling up all
> 6.  I should be able to do that with the reg.x.lineKeys parameter.  Anyway, I'm not even at
> the point of getting multiple registrations to work, so I'll worry about that later.  Right now
> the only thing that works is registering the first extension – it registers just fine and works
> as expected.  No matter what extension I put on there it works, but I only have line 1
> working.  What am I doing wrong?

As you suggest, the key to your solution is in one of the lines that
Bill posted:

reg.1.lineKeys="6"

This will give you six identical keys, each registered to one sip
address.  For what you want to do (three different sip registrations,
each one with two keys), you'll need to change this line on each of
the registrations (and I'll suggest to add the "callsPerLineKey") to
look like this:

reg.1.lineKeys="2"
reg.1.callsPerLineKey="1"     (disables dumb polycom call-waiting "feature")

and later in the second reg:

reg.2.lineKeys="2"
reg.2.callsPerLineKey="1"

and finally (as you may have already guessed):

reg.3.lineKeys="2"
reg.3.callsPerLineKey="1"

The other parameters you'll need to change to get a registration to work are:

reg.x.address=""
reg.x.auth.userId=""
reg.x.auth.password=""
reg.x.server.1.address=""  (unless you want to use the default
specified in sip.cfg)

You can leave all the other parameters as defaults.

And as far as a "bare-bones" config - don't do it.  Use the factory
default configs that came with your firmware files and just customize
as necessary.  Don't take anything out of them.  The phone will do
weird things if you leave out some of it's necessary XML config
options, and that's probably why you're having trouble getting
multiple registrations to work.  If you don't have the standard sample
configs, just let me know, and I can send them to you.

- Noah