[Asterisk-Users] Thoughts on building a Voicemail only Asterisk server?

Christopher Aloi chris.aloi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 14:17:16 MST 2006

Hello List -

I've done some reading on voip-info regarding hardware requirements for an
Asterisk server; but I haven't been able to find anyone doing what we plan
to, so I am hoping you can assist.

We are looking to provide a voice mail only Asterisk solution for approx.
100 homeless people, a customer of ours is planning to provide the service.

The Asterisk service will reside in our data center which will provide the
TDM->SIP GW so the Asterisk will receive all it's calls via SIP.

A rough overview of what I think we will need:

- A non-redundant server running Asterisk
-- -- The Asterisk build will have a very simple dial plan
-- -- -- Two inbound DID's (one for checking vmail and one for leaving voice
mail for an extension)
-- -- -- A management interface for the voice mail boxes, so I will need to
run Apache

- A disk array (either local RAID or external NAS) to house the voice mail
storage.
-- -- The voice mail system will allow 30MB of storage per user, so
30MBx100users=3GB
-- -- I'd like the 3GB of storage to be in either in the RAID or dumped onto
an NFS or NAS

Does anyone have any recommendations on a server that might fit the bill
above?
Or experience running a similar application?

Just looking for some thoughts on RAM, Processor speed, Disc etc...

Thanks in advance.

-Chris