[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk 1.2.7/9.1 mp3 volume is good, wav file of same volume are too loud!

Matt mhoppes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 06:06:50 MST 2006

Ok,
Here's another bizarre one (no strange curve balls to throw this time :P).

I have several mp3 files of some easy listening music that I pulled
off some CDs we have.  They sounds fine and are at a nice volume
level.

When I run this script I wrote:
(I run it by doing ./script < filename)
mpg123 -s --rate 44100 --mono $1.mp3 > $1.raw
sox -r 44100 -w -s -c 1 $1.raw -r 8000 -c 1 $1.wav
rm $1.raw

The wav files comes out with the same volume (I checked using a
program called goldwave)... and infact if I play it on my laptop it
sounds the same and the VU meters show the same volume
characteristics....however, when I place someone on hold, the music
becomes deafening.. ok maybe not that bad, but it's very much louder
to the point of almost being too loud.

Is there something volume wise different about the internal mp3 and wav players?