[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk 1.07 crash under Debian Sarge

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Jun 20 00:01:05 MST 2006

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 04:59:53PM -0500, Mark W. Stoddard wrote:
> As far as hardware is concerned, I am using the following:
> *  Dell Poweredge 2850
> *  2GB RAM
> *  2x 73GB 10,000 SCSI drives mirrored
> *  1x Intel Xeon at 3.8GHz
> *  1x Digium TDM2400P

Requires zaptel 1.2, IIRC.

> *  Dual redundant power supplies.  (is saying "dual redundant"
> redundant?)
> *  Stock cooling
> *  UPS
>
> I was curious what version Debian testing is up to, apparently 1.2.7.  I
> must have been living on Mars to have missed that.

Testing is a moving target. Aimed at starting to freeze well after 1.4
will be released. Hence if you use Testing, be prepared not only for
some base components of your system to be upgraded, but also Asterisk.

Frankly I would be recommend agaist using Testing (or Fedora Core, for
quite similar reasons) for production system: you'll be forced to
upgrade in order to get bugfixes. Great for a developemnt enviironment.
Not so for production.

> I'll attempt an
> upgrade from stable to testing on a testing machine (might even give it
> a try using Xen).

Xen is indeed one of the things that is much better in Etch.

> If the upgrade goes well, I'll consider upgrading the
> production system to testing, or at least the Asterisk packages and
> dependencies thereof.  I believe that Debian testing is scheduled to go
> stable this in a few (<6?) months, so it will be a good idea to at least
> see what I'm up against.

If that is indeed your schedule, then perhaps Testing is better than
Stable+backports.

> How long does it take to restart Asterisk?  I know there is a way to
> start Asterisk so that if it goes down, it comes back up immediately,

I believe you refer to safe_asterisk . Frankly I don't trust it. Find
the problem that takes asterisk down and solve it. Asterisk should not
crash. In most cases it doesn't. safe_asterisk will just hide crashes.

Use an external service watch dog to report problems. safe_asterisk just
complicates the starting and stopping of asterisk.

Tzafrir Cohen      sip:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
icq#16849755       iax:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com