[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and SER

Daniel Salama lists at infoway.net
Mon Jun 19 15:23:54 MST 2006

I have been reading about integrating Asterisk with SER to help
Asterisk deal with large volume of registrations (mainly). I was
planning on fronting Asterisk with SER for that purpose. Not that I
have the traffic at this moment, but because I wanted to get the
infrastructure in place.

However, my providers are using G711 codec and I offer G711 and G729
to my clients because they don't have the best broadband service
available. So, if my clients are talking G729, I suppose I will have
to always keep Asterisk in the media path so as to do codec
translation. Is that correct? I was also planning on using SER's
nathelper, but if Asterisk _HAS_ to be in the media path, there may
not be a need for SER's nathelper. Is this assumption correct?

If my purpose of using SER is basically to alleviate registration
load and help route (possibly load balance) traffic among multiple
Asterisk servers as well as SIP providers, do I really need SER?
Would you recommend it? Granted, I have been running both Asterisk
and SER as separate systems for a while and they both seem very
stable to me.

Thanks,
Daniel