[Asterisk-Users] How to use a data T-1?

Warren warren-lists at icruise.com
Mon Jun 19 08:09:03 MST 2006

Steve,

I want to end up with a system that will let me send and receive voice
calls.  I guess what I want to do depends on the best way to do that.
Can I do more than 23 (decent sounding) voice calls on a data T-1 with
someone else handling the final part of the call to the copper for me?
If so than that is my likely final destination.

I have a channelized voice T-1 currently plugged into my meridian
system, but I would like (if realistically possible) to do as much of
this over IP as possible for maximum flexibility.  Is that a pipe dream
or just silly given the current state of technology?

I am lucky enough to work for a company that is letting me take my time
with this, test the various options and come up with the proper
solution.  I am assuming (I know: dumb to assume) at this point that
VoIP over a T-1 to a provider that can then route it to hard phones for
me would be the way to go.  Similarly, I would point my 800 number to a
DiD hosted by a VoIP provider that would then route the call back to
me.  If that is an incorrect assumption, please let me know.

Regards,
Warren