[Asterisk-Users] How to use a data T-1?

Steve Jones sjones at ftdata.com
Mon Jun 19 07:41:53 MST 2006

Depends what you want to do!

Do you want to do VoIP over that T1 to a provider or IP telephones?
Do you want to hook up to the PSTN through that T1 as 24 voice channels,
through a T1 card on your asterisk?

If you want to use the T1 as 24 voice channels, the Telco is going to
have to re-provision the T1 as a voice T1, because currently, presumably
it is one big channel of data.  You could have the telco do any
combination of 24 channels, some voice and some data, if your DSU or
router allows drop and insert of channels.  It would then split the T1
into a "voice side" and a "data side", each with part of the channels
available.

Once you have a channelized voice T1, it can plug into a voice T1 card
in your Asterisk, but typically can't do data anymore, so if that's not
what you intend, then please explain further..