[Asterisk-Users] Re: Which phones are good, or at least acceptable, for home and office

Michael Graves dickson at covad.net
Sun Jun 18 08:51:34 MST 2006

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 11:03:42 -0400, M.Hockings wrote:

>OK, but I felt that I had narrowed the field down a bit and was just
>looking for confirmation that there were no severe problems with the
>choices.

>People like yourself obviously have some experience with the different
>phone models and that is what I was hoping to learn from.  Yes, I could
>go buying all sorts of phones to find ones that are acceptable but my
>life is not telephony, I just want it to work.

Then buy something from a vendor that will take on the headaches for you. Any form of Asterisk implies quite a learning curve. You have to be willing to climb that in one way or another.

>A Porche certainly does the job better than a Chevette but if the
>Chevette is adequate for the job why not use it. I think that the
>Polycom 601 is nice but I don't see that it provides anything that I
>need beyond what the 501 gives and is certainly overkill for the
>satellite phones.

It certainly depends upon what you're after...and what you feel is important. I don't like the low resolution LCD display on the lesser Polycom models. When I saw the backlit display on the
Aastra 480 that was enough to compel me to buy one.

Michael