[Asterisk-Users] Which phones are good, or at least acceptable, for home and office

Lacy Moore - Aspendora aspendora at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 19:20:30 MST 2006

The Grandstream seem to be a crap shoot.  Some people have real good luck,
others don't.  So far, I've got four of them in use and the users seem to be
happy.  The only drawback that I have is that there is no way I can even
attempt to try to explain the complex method that you have to use to PARK a
call.  Their attended transfers are weird.  I really like the ringer that
calls out the caller ID.  It's because of that, that I might put them in my
house.  However, I still have a CIDCO device that reads out the caller ID.
My house is small enough that I can hear it all over the house.  I would
also like to try out the Aastra 9133.  It's a little more than the GXP2000.
And, I have noticed the handset gets warm on the GXP.  Others have mentioned
this.

For more information, including things already discussed about the
Grandstreams, you can try:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Flists.digium.com%2Fpipermail%2Fasterisk-users%2F+grandstream

or

 This site
http://www.asteriskguru.com/archives/asterisk-users-vf2.html?sid=d6b13ed5fdbe5159999037bc9738c24f
contains
a complete archive of this list in forum format.

On 6/17/06, M.Hockings <veeshooter at hockings.net> wrote:

> I am looking to replace all of the old "Bell" (POTS) phones in my home
> and office with IP phones.  As you can imagine I don't have a huge
> budget to work with but I want phones that will provide acceptable voice
> quality and durability.
>
> There are basically three categories as I see it
> 1. satellite phones (low cost, low function)
> 2. primary domestic phone (good quality, POE capable, headset capable)
> 3. primary office phone (good quality, headset, speaker phone)
>
> In most places the LAN wiring is already in place so the phone would
> need to be able to provide a LAN port for an existing computer.  POE
> would be desirable in a couple of places due to limited power outlets.
>
> What I have considered is the Grandstream BudgeTone BT-102 or BT-200 for
> the satellite phones, a Grandstream GXP-2000 for the domestic phone as
> it has all the requirements and there is a POE device available for it.
> My alternative pick for this would be a Polycom 301.  And for my office
> I was considering a Polycom 501.
>
> Are any of these choices known to be bad performers, hard to configure
> with Asterisk, etc.  I have read that it is difficult or not possible to
> get the message waiting indicator to show for the BT-102.  Is this a
> problem with the GXP-2000 or Polycom phones ?
>
> Also is it possible to use the Linksys POE injector/splitter to power a
> BT-102 ? Or are there other solutions for POE?
>
> Some Web references follow for the keen.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts or input on this.
>
> Mike
>
> Linksys POE Injector/Splitter
>
> http://www.insight.ca/apps/productpresentation/index.php?format=print&product_id=LNKPPOE12
>

> BT-102