[Asterisk-Users] Echo and crackle

Steve Jones sjones at ftdata.com
Sat Jun 17 08:30:38 MST 2006

I went through the same thing on my home system a couple months ago, and
asked similar questions..  The "conventional wisdom" is that "it
depends"...  It depends on your local loop length, quality, taps on the
line, etc..

It seems that most people who have the sangoma cards with hardware echo
cancellation are happy, but I didn't have that kind of money to spend on
my home system, so I bought the TDM400 card.  In my case, I bought two
FXO and one FXS....  Also just "in my case", the difference was huge -
All of a sudden my echo problems were gone.  So, although I probably
would have been better off with the hardware echo, in my particular
case, the Digium works great, and did make a huge difference over the
voice modem I had been using.

Just for comparisons sake, my two FXOs are connected to:  1 Vonage ATA
(Motorola), and one Verizon pots line.  I am about 2.5 miles from the
CO, but I don't know the path that the cable takes, or if there's a SLC
somewhere, so I don't know how long the loop is.  The line is DSL
qualified, so I don't think there's a SLC, but I'm not positive..

Since you've already got the card, you'd probably be able to get the FXO
for around $65, right?  I'd say that is your best bet, with very little
money risked..

Good luck!!

-Steve