[Asterisk-Users] MOS Scores and LCR

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Sat Jun 17 06:53:20 MST 2006

On 17 Jun 2006, at 13:58, trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 12:52 +0200, Florian Overkamp wrote:
>>> The work that you have done so far is a great step towards a product
>>> that many people might find useful.  In a nutshell the concept I am
>>> thinking about is a tool that you drop onto your network and it will
>>> monitor the data (presumably not just iax but sip, h.323,
>>> whatever) and
>>> generate live stats of the call and possibly even have an alarm
>>> system
>>> that would send off a page or something if conditions get too far
>>> from
>>> 'normal'.
>>
>> Yes, that would be excellent indeed. Problem is that the location of
>> measurement will influence the scoring :) If you have good ideas
>> towards
>> this we'd be very interested in participating.
>
> off the cuff I am thinking libpcap and possibly some of the open
> source
> libs that allow you to read RTP frames and other goodies.
> Configure the
> switch to replicate the traffic to the monitoring box so that you dont
> have any delay associated with the monitoring box itself.  Granted
> packet sniffers arent 100% and can drop frames themselves, even though
> they are sent and received, but its a start.

I went to a talk at SANE (2006) by the guy from ntop (http://
www.ntop.org/)
He has done quite a bit of work on this area, to the point of
monitoring who is talking to who over VOIP with ntop - both
'now' and historically. I don't have the paper to hand, but the
abstract is here:
http://www.sane.nl/sane2006/program/abstract.php?eventid=14

Tim Panton
tim at mexuar.com