[Asterisk-Users] MOS Scores and LCR

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Jun 17 05:58:08 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 12:52 +0200, Florian Overkamp wrote:
> > The work that you have done so far is a great step towards a product
> > that many people might find useful.  In a nutshell the concept I am
> > thinking about is a tool that you drop onto your network and it will
> > monitor the data (presumably not just iax but sip, h.323, whatever) and
> > generate live stats of the call and possibly even have an alarm system
> > that would send off a page or something if conditions get too far from
> > 'normal'.
>
> Yes, that would be excellent indeed. Problem is that the location of
> measurement will influence the scoring :) If you have good ideas towards
> this we'd be very interested in participating.

off the cuff I am thinking libpcap and possibly some of the open source
libs that allow you to read RTP frames and other goodies.  Configure the
switch to replicate the traffic to the monitoring box so that you dont
have any delay associated with the monitoring box itself.  Granted
packet sniffers arent 100% and can drop frames themselves, even though
they are sent and received, but its a start.

I really havent given this much thought, but think that something along
those lines wouldnt be terribly hard to construct, I just dont know how
accurate it would be nor any way to really make it more accurate.  This
way it would be generic for more than one particular softswitch.

Integrating a process like this into the softswitch itself might be a
better approach, just not as portable.  The measurements would most
likely be more accurate (given that frames dropped by the sniffer but
were actually received wouldnt show up as a 'loss').

You also want to have a time value associated with  the loss.  Dropped
packets 5 hours ago means nothing for calls going through right now, but
it can be important for overall network monitoring so you dont just want
to discard that data.

I *think* opal is doing something like this internally, however I am
unsure.
Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378
http://www.trxtel.com the VoIP provider that pays you!