[Asterisk-Users] MOS Scores and LCR

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Jun 16 23:00:53 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 01:26 -0400, Daniel Salama wrote:
> Is there any tool that can do LCR for Asterisk but also take into
> account MOS scores?
>
> Is it possible to automatically generate MOS scores on random "calls"
> so as to keep an updated database on a per provider, per destination,
> per time-of-day score? Hopefully, with that information we can create
> a better LCR module or script?

MOS (Mean Opinion Score) is generally a bunch of people sitting there
listening to audio and rating it 1-5 (there is a newer method that is
"twice as good" becuase it goes 1-10, basically all values are double).
Its their opinion.  This generally cant be dont automagically and still
be MOS.  You can try to track frame drops and other things on your end
to rate call quality and try to come up with something, but that
technically isnt MOS.

AFAIK asterisk doesnt keep statistics of jitter, frame drops or anything
else, that might be a good project for someone to take on, especially if
you have multiple providers so you can rate quality in a more meaningful
way.  The human ear really isnt the best tool for much of this.

http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci786677,00.html
http://www.tmcnet.com/tmcnet/articles/2005/voice-quality-measurement-voip-alan-clark-telchemy.htm
http://channels.lockergnome.com/it/archives/20050715_voipqos_mos_mean_opinion_score_explained.phtml

Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378
http://www.trxtel.com the VoIP provider that pays you!