[Asterisk-Users] Two FXO: How to dial a number when a RING comes in?

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 11:05:00 MST 2006

> Why?  It seems clear to me that if the person dialed through Zap/2 does not
> answer, that he does not want to answer the ringing line...
>
> I think there may be a gotcha here for analogue zaptel interfaces, wherein the
> ring will keep getting detected an keep (re)trying to dial, but having to
> answer the zap line before doing anything with it (especially routing) is NOT
> what I would consider standard operating procedure.

I don't Answer() any other calls (even Zap calls off a PRI), but I've
run into problems when I don't Answer() analog POTS lines using zap.
I've seen issues (particularly audio, but other issues, too) where
asterisk moves on to the subsequent priorities before the zap call is
fully bridged.  As a result, I've made it a policy to always answer an
analog zap line before doing anything with it.  If the party dialed on
Zap/2 does not answer, there's not much difference for the calling
party.  They'll still hear ringback.

- Noah