[Asterisk-Users] T1 Copper or T1 Fiber Line

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Jun 16 06:11:27 MST 2006

On Friday 16 June 2006 08:56, Steve Underwood wrote:
> Pretty much always copper by the time you see them. They might be fibre
> from the box on the wall to the telco's luxurious mansion, but what you
> connect to is almost certainly two twisted pairs, or two thin co-ax
> cables (mostly the twisted pairs these days). In other words, the
> difference is irrelevant to a subscriber.

Any T1 I've seen in the last 3 years has actually been DS1-over-HDSL2.  What
comes in to the building is a single pair of copper into the smartjack, and
then you have a traditional DSX1 to plug in to.  I don't think "real" T1s (in
the physical sense) have existed for years.

Before DS1-over-HDSL2 the ones I had provisioned were DS1-over-HDSL (2 copper
pairs)... never had a real, genuine T1.

But again... you don't get to play with that side of it.  You order a T1, you
get a smartjack that has a T1 jack (DSX1) on it and what's on the other side
is irrelevant.

-A.