[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7936 Conference Phone - SIP or SCCP?

Ryan Amos ramos at finetooth.com
Thu Jun 15 12:12:59 MST 2006

The 7936 is SCCP only. It kind of works with chan_sccp, but it's not
something I would use in a production environment (it's very buggy and
will stop accepting input from the keys frequently, requiring a hard
reboot.) I would say there is no good way to reliably use the 7936 in
Asterisk, and I wouldn't consider it supported. I've spent quite a lot
of time on this issue, and even written a patch that makes the phone
sort-of-work, but the problem is that the phone doesn't like some of the
data chan_sccp sends it and locks up. Killing the channel while the
phone is like this often results in a core dump.

If you need a SIP conference phone, check out the Polycom SoundStation
IP 4000. It's basically the same phone as the Cisco running a SIP image.
I wouldn't count on the 7936 ever really being supported in asterisk,
seeing as the Polycom is $300 cheaper and the Cisco is just a rebranded
Polycom with different software, plus you can get support for the
Polycom through a reseller for a lot less than with Cisco.

-Ryan