[Asterisk-Users] analog call progress - can I use backgrounddetect

El Flynn el_flynn at lanvik-icu.com
Wed Jun 14 18:53:58 MST 2006

Jerry Geis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There seems to be no solution for call progress on analog lines
> and using outgoing spool call files . My wave file starts playing before
> the person has answered the phone so the first part of the message is
> missed.
>
> Can the backgrounddetect app be used for this. I have tried but
> the message still plays before I answer.
> I generated 60 seconds wave file.

Some other approaches:

1. Have you tried setting callprogress=yes in zapata.conf? This will only work
if you're in the US though, and your mileage may vary.

2. An "unelegant" approach without using backgrounddetect would be to set it up
like so:
   - playback a prompt that asks user to press a key to accept the call
   - only deliver the audio payload once user has pressed a key

You could also tinker with #2 to cater for scenarios where you've hit a
voicemailbox, e.g. after two/three loops of the first prompt just deliver the
message anyway and hope it gets recorded in the callee's mailbox.

Flynn