[Asterisk-Users] Web UI - Best practices?

Mike list at virtutel.ca
Wed Jun 14 08:51:06 MST 2006

Hi,

I'm stuck writing a Web GUI because nothing out there is exactly what I
need.  I'm not writing something as extensive as what _is_ out there, but
just something that allows users to change where their calls are forwarded
and other small things like that.

What I wanted to know is what is recommended by those you successfully wrote
their own UI :

1) Modifying the config directly in the Asterisk RealTime DB and and use
Asterisk Realtime? This seems like the obvious choice, but I have a bad
feeling about this method...especially with respect to future changes I
would make to my UI or that the Asterisk dev team would make to their own
tables / code

2) Using custom tables I make up myself, and querying that DB with the MySQL
command directly in the .conf files (or Realtime asterisk for that
matter)(http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+cmd+MYSQL) ?

Any input is appreciated...I really don't want to start on the wrong foot.
Option 2 looks better (less dependent on Asterisk not changing from version
to version) but I feel it'll make a mess out of the code.  While Option 1
looks like it'll be messy because I have to adapt to the Realtime DB format
in my PHP code, but at least the Asterisk code will be clean.

Really, opinons based on anecdotes would help me.

Regards,

Mike