[Asterisk-Users] Linksys SRW224P POE Switch

Tom tom at ispstuff.com
Tue Jun 13 17:24:06 MST 2006

At 05:24 AM 6/10/2006, you wrote:
>" What will you be powering with it?  I bought one to power Cisco IP
>phones but realized that it will not power them before it arrived."
>
>What obscure cisco phones are you using ?

7960G  - pretty obscure huh?

>You may only need a different fly lead if you have older pre standard phones
>otherwise it should work ok.

Pay attention Fadge:  There are many types of POE and at least two
types that use 48v and are somewhat 802.3af compliant.  Older POE
like Cisco take their power over the unused pairs of an ethernet cable.

Most of the latest generation POE switches including the Linksys
SRW224P provide their power on the data pairs, not the unused
pairs.  So if both the data and the power are on the same pairs, how
do you make a cable adapter to work with the 7960G?

Tom