[Asterisk-Users] Hard drive write cache

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Jun 13 09:41:38 MST 2006

shadowym wrote:

>The cold hard truth is that if Asterisk cannot achieve 99.999% uptime
>without becoming much more expensive that a traditional PBX then it is not a
>viable alternative.  Even elcheapo Key systems are rated for five nines.

Even massive redundant public exchanges struggle for 99.999% up time. No
key system gives that. Its about 1 hour down in 10 years.

>That is what the telco world requires unless your just using Asterisk in
>your basement as a hobby or as a one man company.
>
>Redundant Servers is moving into the realm of non-competitive with
>Traditional PBX IMHO.

A traditional PBX of any decent size is highly redundant. More so than
you will easily achieve with *. How do you expect * to achieve high
reliability without redundant servers.

>I don't care about corruption of the CDR or any of the logging/database
>information.  All I care about is the ability make phone calls after power
>failure.  That IS the MAIN function of a PBX.  Not call centers, databases,
>CDR, click 2 call, and all the other bells and whistles.

Steve