[Asterisk-Users] OLD PA system.

Thomas Kenyon digium at sanguinarius.co.uk
Sun Jun 11 03:24:37 MST 2006

I need to be able to connect an old PA system to an asterisk box, which
basically works as a couple of amplifiers taking an analogue phone
signal and playing whatever it produces out of some speakers. There is
no on-hook state in the whole setup.

Obviously If I just connect the input to a port on an ATA, I'll just get
a dialtone played through the speakers.

Can anyone think of a way I can attach it, so that people can call an
extension that will play through the speakers?

The nearest thing I can think of, is getting the * box to call it as an
extension plugged into an ATA, then while it's calling plug the line in
and transfer it to a non-announcing conference (or similar).

This is an undesirable approach for many reasons. (mostly the
requirement to set it all up again in the event of a server reset).

I have a small pile of ATAs I can play with (well, there's already an
atcom 468 in there with a spare port, there's a spare PAP2, a spare
Cisco 186 or I could borrow an SPA3k from my home setup) If they'd be of
any help.

I originally thought about using the sound card, till I saw what was
already in place. (The client doesn't like spending money).