[Asterisk-Users] T1 passthrough/middleman

Nathan Bell nathanb at actarg.com
Fri Jun 9 13:33:54 MST 2006

Is it possible to act as a middle man on a T1 line?

My installation currently has an aging Inter-Tel Axxess box with a T1
coming in (16 in, 8 out). Rather than adding and replacing phones and
cards as they die, I would like to slowly migrate to a asterisk SIP
installation.

I want to take the incoming T1 line, use any available outgoing lines
for outgoing SIP, intercept any incoming lines and either send them off
to a SIP line or pass them through to other T1 line (going to the Axxess
box), and finally take in outgoing calls from the Inter-Tel box and
either send them to SIP or send them to the outside T1 line.

How will a dual T1 card be set up in this situation? Would it be easier
to use an FXO channel bank (or card) and connect analog lines to the FXS
analog lines on the Inter-Tel box?