[Asterisk-Users] Polycom Configuration

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Fri Jun 9 07:06:46 MST 2006

What you are proposing is quiet simple, and is done regularly. We
provision Linksys Sipura ATAs via a perl script with SSL and client
certificate authentication, as well as Polycom phones via XML file
drops. The newest Polycom firmware also states that ssl is supported,
but we have not made the conversion yet.

Both are driven by the fact that we are using realtime mysql

The Linksys Sipura products have a provisioning manual available to
authorized providers under a non disclosure agreement, so you will need
to either get authorized or get help from an authorized reseller of the
product (depending on your application).

Up until recently, FTP and TFTP where the only methods on the Polycom,
so just create a website that allows you to associate a Polycom MAC
address with a SIP user and put a button on the page that drops a
properly formatted  XML file in the FTP directory. Easy to do if your
sip users are in mysql or another database, trickier but possible if
your users are in text files.

The SSL method of verifying the client certificate and reading the MAC
address from it is more secure, but again, not enough experience yet to
know that it works with the Polycom, the ftp method does work reliably.