[Asterisk-Users] quad t1 / 1U rack server combos

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Fri Jun 9 07:04:13 MST 2006

 > C'mon guys! Certify a few current model servers and be done with it.

Problem is, certification is a moving target and can become invalid with
something as simple as a BIOS change by the manufacturer. Now that the
barrier to entry to changing a design is almost nil, manufacturers love to
screw around with designs to save a few bucks. I have seen two identical
boxes, labelled as such by the manufacturer, bought in the same time period,
but with different guts. Digium would wind up with egg on their faces by
certifying a system, then 90 days later after everyone buys it, finds out
that some subtle change by the manufacturer has destabilized the config.

I agree it is frustrating as hell, but this is the price we pay. Would you
rather buy a Mitel for 10X the $$$? Maybe in some circumstances, it is worth
it.