[Asterisk-Users] Re: Audio problems on Zap & SIP, local network, not IRQ related?

kjcsb kjcsb at orcon.net.nz
Fri Jun 9 03:06:30 MST 2006

> I've read your post on the asterisk mailing list. Agree that the specs
> of that box should easily handle one call with decent quality. The only
> thing I can think of right now is to start using the IRQ affinity stuff
> to move the scsi & ethernet modules over to e.g. CPU2 and let the wctdm
> driver stick to CPU1. You may also want to read the part about setting
> the latency of the card. Iirc the higher the value the better it is for
> a Digium card but check it in the docs at
> http://www.asteriskguru.com/tutorials/pci_irq_apic_tdm_ticks_te410p_te405p_noise.html
> or the attached file.

I have attempted to change the SMP affinity so that the TDM400 is handled by
CPU1:
echo 2 > /proc/irq/20/smp_affinity
cat /proc/irq/20/smp_affinity
00000002

However I can see the interrupts for IRQ 20 are still incrementing on both
CPUs. Indeed, after about 10 seconds...
cat /proc/irq/20/smp_affinity
00000001

On further investigation, the SMP affinity on ALL of the IRQs is set to
00000001. This implies that everything is handled by CPU0, which it clearly
is not!

I'll do some more research on this but in the meantime if anyone has any
advice on this issue I would appreciate it.

> I'm not familiar with the megaraid module. You seem to have an adaptec
> scsi controller. Why need the megaraid module? And if you don't need the
> usb uhci module, disable usb in the bios. Come to think of it, since you
> use scsi, disable the IDE ports too.
Megaraid is Dell's SCSI hardware RAID controller (this is a Dell Poweredge
2300). I believe the Adaptec stuff is what the Tape, CDROM(!) etc run off.
There are no options in the BIOS to disable USB or IDE.

> Just saw your other posting to the asterisk mailing list. Afaik it is
> not advisable to use MMX so disable it in the Makefile again and
> recompile. I don't know which distro you use but if it's CentOS, RHEL or
> Fedora Core 4 or 5 you can use the rpms at http://laimbock.com/asterisk/
>
> Regards,
> Patrick

I'm running FC4 but some files are patched for New Zealand so I don't think
I can use these RPMs.

Regards

Cameron