[Asterisk-Users] RxFax & Asterisk possible bug?

Sebastian icheb at icheb.info
Fri Jun 9 01:57:01 MST 2006

Hi,

For some time now, I've been fighting with RxFax and Asterisk.
I had it working for some time, however, for some reason it just stopped
working, I guess someone updated Asterisk or something, don't know exactly.

At the moment I keep getting errors while entering the RxFax stage of a
call.
But due to the fact RxFax does not contain any code to directly interact
with an RTP stream, it uses SpanDSP, I guess the problem is somewhere in
SpanDSP.

 From my logs, I get:
    -- Goto (macro-faxreceive,s,7)
    -- Executing RxFAX("SIP/<faxnumber removed>-ff83",
"/var/spool/asterisk/fax/fax/asterisk-8558-1149842081.2.tif") in new stack
Jun  9 10:34:56 WARNING[8558]: chan_sip.c:1829 sip_write: Asked to
transmit frame type 64, while native formats is 4 (read/write = 64/4)
Jun  9 10:34:56 WARNING[8558]: chan_sip.c:1829 sip_write: Asked to
transmit frame type 64, while native formats is 4 (read/write = 64/4)
Jun  9 10:34:56 WARNING[8558]: chan_sip.c:1829 sip_write: Asked to
transmit frame type 64, while native formats is 4 (read/write = 64/4)

The basic call setup works perfectly, but whenever I try to enter a fax
stage, I get this error.
According to the SIP call initialisation, there are no problems with
formats, and the agreed upon format is 4 (aka ulaw).
At the moment I get these errors, there aren't any SIP transmissions, so
were in mid-session...

I guess the problem is somewhere in SpanDSP or a transcoding error
between slin and ulaw in chan_sip.

I've confirmed this problem on 2 servers so far.
The first server is our fax receiver (production), where this problem
started. But it also appeared when I tried to directly connect a fax
transmission from a PSTN line with the Sipura 3000 as FXO (forwarding
the audio stream over our NAT to our Asterisk server, with the ulaw codec).
Both servers are Debian Sarge servers.

Confirmed this problem in:
Asterisk 1.0.7 (default .deb packages, being with SpanDSP 0.0.2pre10-3)
Asterisk 1.0.11 (after reading
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2006-May/151843.html,
SpanDSP 0.0.2pre26)
Asterisk 1.2.8 (from source, with SpanDSP 0.0.2pre26)
Asterisk 1.2.7.1 (from source, with SpanDSP 0.0.2pre25)

Does anyone know of a way to get it working again?

It has worked before, so I know it's perfectly possible with Debian Sarge.
Furthermore I've set this up on Red Hat Enterprise servers without this
problem (with Asterisk 1.0.9). So I don't believe this is an error
caused by myself.

--
With kind regards,
Sebastian Berm