[Asterisk-Users] Prices of g729 codec

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Jun 8 19:51:13 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 04:49 +0300, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 01:52 +0100, Chris Bagnall wrote:
> > > I say "without any real reason" because anyone who doesn't care about the
> > > licencing of g729 has an easy alternative in the form of the downloadable
> > > g729 binaries. They aren't exactly difficult to find - hell, they're linked
> > > to from voip-info and a google search for "g729 binary asterisk" always
> > > gives that page in the first few results.
>
> Which are actually not legal for you to use with your PBX without paying Intel a
> bit, IIRC.

according to intel.com its legal for you to use while in development,
the same as the patent itself.  Distributing intel code requires payment
of a couple hundred, so there is a bunch going on both sides of that.
However it is still done, which means that there are some that dont
care.  These people are less likely to try to break a licensing scheme,
however trivial becuase they just want to use the codec and not pay
anything.  As long as both are available the people that get one with a
license want the license itself not just the codec.

> > its even more rediculous how trivial it is to bypass.
>
> Indeed. It would have to be much more evil (limiting) if it were to withstand
> such trivial attacks (and make you resort to more complicated hacks to work
> around it)
>
> Not perfect. But then again: in a perfect situations we would not have
> such an acute patemts problem. There is always the option of staying
> away from those codecs.

that is likely what the majority do, however there are some for
interopability reasons they want to use that codec over others that
might be similar in bandwidth concerns (ie speex) but arent in most
every voip hardware device.

You end up having to pay somewhere, in a tdm->voip world if you use
g.711 you have to buy extra bandwidth but less cpu, use g.729 you have
to buy extra cpu and licenses but less bandwidth, some stuff in the
middle is a compromise between the two.

Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378
http://www.trxtel.com we pay you to terminate calls with us!