[Asterisk-Users] ISDN master clock issue ?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Jun 8 06:07:51 MST 2006

Tristan wrote:
> The fact is that I have 2 different E1 (euroisdn) providers and an E1
> (euroisdn) connection to a Matra PBX...
>
> The PBX needs to be master and as far as I know the PSTN providers needs
> it too...
>
> So I want to be sure that the quad E1 card I'll buy will work without
> troubles in this kind of setup...
>
> Can I only put the synchro to the PBX and forget about the PRI providers ?

No.

It is highly unlikely the PBX truly needs to be master. If that were an
actual requirement, the vendor would never be able to sell their PBX
into "any" environment where they connected to a E1 provider. The telco
providers "never" slave their equipment from a customer-owned PBX. You
will need to find the option in the Matra PBX to define it as syncing
from the E1. (In fact, I'd bet a small amount of money the default
implementation in the PBX is to sync from any attached E1.)

There is a 99.99% probability the two E1 providers obtain their clock
sync from a higher level (hierarchical source), and are already in sync
with each other. If you use a digium card, you select one of the
providers as your "first choice" sync source, and the second provider as
your second choice sync source when the first choice provider's E1 is down.

You definitely want your digium/sangoma card to support the hierarchical
design of the digital network, and that well known design requires you
to sync from your upstream provider, and pass that sync along to your
downstream PBX. If you don't do that, calls originating from the PBX and
passing through the digium/sangoma card to the PRI network will incur
clock slips (out of sync). If the clock slips are too great, you will
experience clicks, etc, during a call. Also, if all the components are
not in sync, any use of modems (eg, faxes or pc modems) will be
significantly degraded if not impossible to use.