[Asterisk-Users] How to check NAT behaviour before installing Asterisk

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Thu Jun 8 02:19:13 MST 2006

Hi,

Installing Asterisk involve tuning NAT and network settings.
So, before installing an Asterisk server, I would like to check my network
settings.

My setup is :
IP Telephony Provider ----- ISP ------ Home router-firewall ------ Home LAN
------- IPBX and IP Phones

What and how would you check your settings ?

More precisely, I would like to check outgoing and incoming calls
capabilities.

What is the safest test to run to be sure that an outgoing RTP flow is not
blocked by my firewall (no logs in it) ?
Is there some ping-echo-like command I could type-in from a home PC to
check, independantly from any Asterisk setting, that a RTP packet would
successfully come in ?

Ping would be perfect (you can choose IP address and ports and you can
access web sites from which you can issue a ping as if
you were outside your home network) but, as far as I know, it relies on ICMP
which is possibly treated specifically by firewalls.

What do you think ?

Regards