[Asterisk-Users] Unlock / install of Cisco 7940 IP Phone ?

end1r at comcast.net end1r at comcast.net
Wed Jun 7 14:29:03 MST 2006

To convert the phone to SIP you have to unlock and set the TFTP server to your TFTP server  address as explained below. But...

you also need to make sure you have a SIP image in the root directory of your TFTP server and also edit the OS79XX.TXT file to contain only the SIP image name (no .bin or .sbin extension). This should tell the phone what image it should be running and will then start a tftp transaction to download the SIP image.

Once the SIP image is loaded on your phone, you will have to reset the TFTP Server addresses again so it can then download the SIP configuration files (SIPdefault.cnf and SIP<MAC>.cnf)

good luck!

From: Aaron Daniel <amdtech at shsu.edu>